Temporary Services

  Registering as a Temporary Patient for Medically Necessary Treatment

You can receive emergency treatment from any GP surgery for up to 14 days – for example, if you fall ill while on holiday.  If your treatment will last longer than that, you'll have to register as a temporary or permanent resident.

You can register as a temporary resident if you're in the area for longer than 24 hours but less than 3 months.  Generally if your own GP Practice is within a 50 mile radius we would expect you to attend there unless the issue is an emergency (see examples below).

Examples of using a temporary registration:  Where a temporary registration is not suitable: 
If you are on holiday and develop a chest infection. Repeat medication: You can ask your current GP practice to send a repeat prescription electronically to a local pharmacy via EPS. 
If you are staying with relatives and develop an infection in your finger. Ongoing treatment, such as mental health issues or healthchecks: local services will usually only see those resident in that area; continuity of care and patient safety advises that patients see their regular GP for ongoing issues.
If you are a student home from university and are experiencing rectal bleeding. A problem where you can talk to a GP on the phone. There is no reason that this cannot take place with the Practice with which you are registered. 

To register as a temporary patient with us, please follow this link to download, print out, and complete a Temporary Services GMS3/99 NHS form:>>.  Paper forms can be returned through the post box by the front door of the surgery.  You can also scan and  return the form to us via email at swanage.medical@nhs.net. 

Please ensure you advise us of your anticipated return to home date.

You will then need to telephone the Surgery to arrange a telephone consultation or a face to face appointment where appropriate.

For any prescription requests, please contact your own GP surgery.